We all want our dogs to live as long as possible. Unfortunately, there is no magic pill that we can simply give our dogs to make them live longer. However, there are things that we can do ourselves to help prolong our dogs’ lives. These are simple to do but it does require effort on your part. These 5 simple tips will help keep your dog living healthy and strong.
1. Brush your dog’s teeth on a regular basis. This is a very important aspect to keeping your dog healthy even though it may not seem like it. A major cause of death in many dogs is due to poor dental hygiene. By brushing your dog’s teeth on a regular basis with the proper technique, you can help reduce the risk of dental disease in your dog. Here is a post on “How to brush your dog’s teeth“.
2. Feed your dog a healthy and proper diet. Today, many people tend to over feed their dogs and they also tend to give their dogs horrible food. If you buy your food from a grocery store, it’s most likely junk food. Meaning the dog food is probably filled with grains and fillers that offer your dog no nutrional value. Also, if you can’t feel your dog’s ribs, then you’re probably over feeding your dog. Learn the correct portion sizes for your dog’s size and start feeding them some healthy and nutritious dog food. Here is an excellent read on dog food analysis to see what to look for in the ingredients of your dog’s food. Here is another great read on preparing home cooked dog meals.
3. Regular exercise is another key factor in keeping your dog healthy. All dogs need exercise regardless of their size. Make sure you give enough time each day to exercise your dog. You can either take them to the dog park or simply go on a 20-30 minute walk around your block. Either way, the more exercise the better. You’ll also end up getting a good work out also!
4. Give them lots of attention! Its been proven that sad and neglected dogs have a shorter life span than dogs that are happy and given lots of attention. When you come home from work, don’t ignore your dog. Give them lots of attention and show them that you care about them. The happiest time in their life is probably hearing the door open to see you come home. Play with them, praise them, and show them that you love them on a constant basis. A happy dog is a healthy dog!
5. Watch your dog. Its the most unsuspecting times where danger lurks. Cars can come out of no where and be a huge danger to your dog. If you have toy breed dogs like I do, always keep an eye out for larger dogs that are not on a leash. Large dogs can pounce on smaller dogs in a blink of the eye. Even though the larger dog may not mean any harm, toy breeds are very fragile and can get seriously hurt.
Hopefully these 5 tips can help you prolong your dog’s life!